Window Maker is an X11 window manager originally designed to provide integration support for the GNUstep Desktop Environment, although it can run stand alone. In every way possible, it reproduces the elegant look and feel of the NEXTSTEP user interface.
The key features of Window Maker are:
- Stacking window manager with ability for semi-automatic tiling management
- Lightweight and blazing fast
- Easy to use
- Highly configurable
- Small, dockable apps (dockapps)
- Human readable config files and GUI prefs application
- Free and open source
- Active community from all of the world
See features section for more.
Many distributions already have Window Maker included in their software repositories, so it could be installed directly from there. Other sources are listed below: